Friday, August 29, 2008

Ice cream : hot cakes

My roomie bought this new denim skirt and it reminds me of my denim skirt that my Dad gifted me a long time ago, oh how I miss my denim skirt, nostalgia! I wish I were closer to home, somewhere so close that I could just hop onto a bus and then go home and grab whatever I had left back there, but alas, home is a place that is so far away! Some things in life are so close yet so far.

We had free ice cream at Stamp today, some marketing tactic and it gave me the inspiration to write about the art of making ice cream. It reminds me of the time I made ice cream for Maria’s brother, a four year old then. He was so excited about it that he convinced his Mom to make fish fry for me in return for the ice cream. Really sweet I know I even had a poem about it.

So this is how you make ice cream, you’ll need milk, corn flour, just to thicken the milk, condensed milk, sugar, vanilla essence (or whatever flavoring suits your palate) and a blender. Firstly boil the milk. Then mix a little bit of corn flour with some cold milk. Add this to the boiling milk, stir this for some time until it thickens and then let it cool. Now add enough sugar and condensed milk and blend the mixture. Refrigerate it until its half set, and then beat it again. Now let it set completely and then voila yummy ice cream is ready to be served.

There was this documentary on Discovery Channel on the science of making ice cream, It was really informative, especially the Nitrogen Ice cream bit. We had something called Maryland Day at school recently, a day set aside for the University to showcase all the interesting experiments and projects to the little children and general public. We had a display of how nitrogen ice cream was made that day, but I guess they got over like hot cakes, hmmm 'ice cream got over like hot cakes' weird (giggles).

No comments:

Web Site Counter
Avis.com Car Rental