Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Nothing Fishy!

The new sushi place at Stamp is open, and I dropped in to try the food. Sushi, so different from the fish curry back home :)! I had this sunrise sushi, that too with a chopstick for the first time, though I could just manage to pop one roll into my mouth before I pounced on the fork. Chopsticks and me, we still have a long way to go!

Speaking of fish curry, there are so many different fish curries, but the one I am so used to making is the red curry. Fish Moli is really tasty, usually we have fish moli at weddings, it is considered one of those delicacies. My Mom recently coached me through Fish Mappas, not one of the curries we make at home. Then there is the "meen kozhumbu" (மீன் kஒழும்பு), a tamilian way of making fish, which my Mom knows. I know “meen policha" (മീന്‍
പൊളിച്ച) too, that’s fish steam cooked in a banana leaf, interesting huh!

The red fish curry is at the heart and soul of any Syrian Christian meal. It tastes real good with tapioca; I bet not many people have had this kind of food. I wonder why all these lovely dishes remain buried somewhere deep in the middle class households of Kerala. It is high time they start showing their faces on the global platter, I guess am doing my bit to help with that :).

All preparations are underway for the seafood bonanza, guess this would be the first time I will be preparing fish curry in the US of A, hmm! Though I did fry fish for junior last December, that too when I was on lent, so sadly I couldn’t taste the fish fry. So I have to decide, do I go with the regular red curry or should I make moli/mappas?

No comments:

Web Site Counter
Avis.com Car Rental