Sunday, September 7, 2008

Vada..

More bad news, apparently the unemployment rate has jumped from 5.7% in July to 6.1% in August, the trend doesn’t look very pleasing.

So well I was trying my best to teach Sunday school to these 2nd graders, what a challenge that is, sweet little things with attention that wanders over 5 times around the world every second. I can hardly keep them captivated to what I say for like 2 minutes. Need to figure a way to beat the wandering mind of a 6 year old and race up far ahead of it.

Thanks to Aunty, my roomies and me had a good feast of vada today. The occasion was Roshi’s birthday, belated happy b’day to you Roshi, so aunty made these lovely vadas. Idli-Vada is a typical South Indian breakfast and I love hogging steaming hot idlis and vadas with sambhar and coconut chutney in the local darshinis, especially Adiga’s.

Adiga’s, a chain of fast food joints in Bangalore brings back memories of undergrad days. The good old days, when we were so naïve and life was so much more simpler. I like the concept of darshinis something very unique to Bangalore, sometime I’ll go over it in detail.

So here is how you make urad vada, the ingredients being urad dal, pepper corns, green chilies, onions, ginger, salt and oil to fry the vadas. So you let urad dal soak for about 4 hours, then grind it to a paste with onions, green chillies, ginger and pepper corns. Add enough salt to taste and then deep fry the vadas in the hot oil in that typical vada shape (doughnut shaped). Then serve the hot vadas with coconut chutney or sambhar.

No comments:

Web Site Counter
Avis.com Car Rental